Weak foot dorsi flexion – foot drop system innoSTEP-WL provides mobility
With a weak foot dorsiflexion is the peroneal nerve no longer able to correctly transmit nerve impulses that control raising the foot to the foot lifter muscles. The wireless foot drop system innoSTEP-WL - consisting of a unobstrusive cuff and a stimulation unit - is an innovative medical device for functional electrostimulation. The foot drop system directly compensates for weak foot dorsiflexion and improves gait.
Overview: Wireless foot drop system innoSTEP-WL
- Electrodes transmit electrical impulses through the skin to the peroneal/fibular nerve, which then sends a signal to the muscles to contract causing the foot to be lifted.
- Its ergonomic and modern design allows the innoSTEP-WL to be worn comfortably under clothing.
- The functional electrostimulation of the poreneal nerve and the resulting transmission of nerval signals can support the remodelling of neural pathways.
- This stimulation promotes blood flow and combats muscular atrophy.
- A magnetic closure simplifies handling, particularly for patients with limited mobility.
- The innoSTEP-WL is also suitable, as an adjustable walking aid, for barefoot use.
- The foot drop system automatically adapts to the patient's gait, during use.
- The innoSTEP-WL can replace orthoses and peroneal splints.
- The accelerometer (acceleration sensor) and gyroscope (inclinometer) are used to determine the optimal time to trigger stimulation, while intelligent algorithms precisely control the duration of the pulse: The foot is lifted in the swing phase for a more fluid gait.
- The innoSTEP-WL foot drop system can significantly improve mobility and quality of life.
innoSTEP-WL is fitted to the affected leg – owing to its low-profile design it also fits under trousers – and then sends electrical impulses to the peroneal nerve when walking. Advanced sensor technology and intelligent algorithms monitor and analyse the gait. The optimal time for triggering the stimulation of the nerve is determined on the basis of measured parameters such as acceleration, leg angle of inclination and stride length. This converts the stimulus into a cue for the muscles – the foot is lifted during the swing phase of the stride. The foot drop system thereby provides patients with a more stable, safer gait, enhanced mobility and reduces the risk of tripping and falling.
Functional electrical stimulation for weak foot dorsiflexion – benefits
The application of the foot drop system for functional electrical stimulation to remedy weak foot dorsiflexion offers even more benefits: The repeated stimuli given to the peroneal nerve are continuously processed by neural structures located in the brain and spinal cord, which can contribute to the remodelling of neural pathways. In addition, calf and foot muscles continue to be exercised, which combats muscle atrophies and blood circulation disorders. Because the innoSTEP-WL improves gait uniformity and safety, patients no longer adopt postures to alleviate pain: This relieves strain on the back and hips and reduces the risk of suffering secondary injuries. At the same time, it enhances walking safety, speed, stride length and endurance.
- Multiple sclerosis
- Stroke (apoplexy)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Spastic hemiplegia/Cerebral palsy
- Spinal disc herniation/Spinal cord injuries
- Incomplete tetraplegia
- Partial lower leg musculature paralysis
- Central leg muscle paresis
- Active implants (demand-pacemakers)
- Acute thrombosis
Quick guide innoSTEP-WL
To make sure that you can use the foot drop system nevertheless, we have prepared information material, including quick guides and video tutorials.
Quick guide innoSTEP-WL
Our video library regularly features tips on the day-to-day application and maintenance of the innoSTEP-WL, as well as field reports and expert opinions.
How do I obtain the innoSTEP-WL?
The innoSTEP-WL is a therapeutic device for functional electrical stimulation to treat weak foot dorsiflexion, which can be prescribed by a doctor and may be covered by statutory health insurance funds. Depending on the insurance status of the patient, care is then provided in two different ways:
Individuals covered by statutory health insurance
- The customer requests a prescription for the innoSTEP-WL and sends it to HELLER MEDIZINTECHNIK GmbH & Co. KG (Europaplatz 2, 35619 Braunfels, Germany).
- HELLER MEDIZINTECHNIK provides a quote for a four-week trial, which it forwards to the relevant health insurance fund.
- After receiving approval from the health insurance fund, the policyholder receives the innoSTEP-WL and is briefed on how to use the system. This briefing includes a video of the patient’s gait with and without the therapeutic device as well as extensive patient documentation, in accordance with the statutory health insurance guidelines.
- If the policyholder decides to continue using the device after the four-week trial period, he/she should provide HELLER MEDIZINTECHNIK with a repeat prescription from the treating physician.
- HELLER MEDIZINTECHNIK then provides a quote which applies to this long-term approval to the respective health insurance fund.
Private health insurance policyholders
- The customer requests a prescription for the innoSTEP-WL and orders it from HELLER MEDIZINTECHNIK.
- HELLER MEDIZINTECHNIK provides a quote or an invoice for the purchase of the foot drop system (if necessary also for a 4- to 12-week trial period) which the policyholder submits to his/her private health insurance fund.
- After settling the invoice, the policyholder receives the innoSTEP-WL and is briefed on how to use the system. This briefing includes a video of the patient’s gait with and without the therapeutic device as well as extensive patient documentation.
- If the therapeutic device is first trialled, HELLER MEDIZINTECHNIK will send the customer a quote covering the on-going care after the 4 to 12-week trial.
Do you have any other questions?
We will of course be happy to advise you on how to use the innoSTEP-WL: Simply call us on +49 (0)6442 942 10), or contact us by e-mail or use our contact form. Further details and resources – such as a prescription template – can be downloaded here.
Gesichtsschutz / Schutzvisier / Gesichtsvisier
- Beschichtung gegen Beschlag
- Zuverlässiger Schutz vor Tröpfchen, Spritzern und Teilchen
- Hemmt Tröpfchen-Infektionen
- Hoher Tragekomfort
- Geringes Gewicht
- Sofort lieferbar
FFP2 Maske / Atemschutzmaske / Filtrierende Halbmaske
FFP2 Maske kaufen
- Persönliche Schutzausrüstung Kat. III
- EN 149:2001 + A1:2009
- CE-zertifiziert 0194
- Hoher Tragekomfort
- elastische Kopfbänder
- einzeln hygienisch verpackt